Tips for Traveling with Your Pets
It’s hard to believe that July is already well upon us! Independence Day has come and gone. It’s the time of year that families are making plans for those last minute road trips for the summer. If you have a summer road trip on your horizon, make sure to prepare your vehicle for the road ahead while you’re making plans and reservations and packing up everything. You’ve got a lot on your plate, but make sure you don’t forget about your pet(s) during the whirlwind of getting ready! Sometimes, our furry friends unfortunately get lost in the mix of everything. We have a few tips for you to keep safety in mind when traveling with your pets.
- You should always make sure that your pets are up-to-date on their vaccinations, but it’s especially important while traveling. It will protect them from airborne illnesses and other animals in different areas you’re traveling. Also bring with you their health records just in case of an emergency.
- You would never forget to bring their food along during the trip. But remember to make it readily accessible while traveling. Also have water available and a travel bowl. Heat and/or anxiety can kick in while traveling and your pet will need water to cool off. And if it’s a long ride, they just need a refreshing drink just like you do!
- We know it’s tempting if you’re traveling alone with your pet, but never put a pet carrier in the front passenger seat. Put small carriers on the floor if possible. For the safety of both of you.
- If you have a larger dog, buckle them in using a harness. It’s not only important to keep them from distracting the driver, but it protects them in the incident of an accident.
- NEVER leave animals unattended in your parked car in the summer heat. No excuses. Even if your windows are cracked and you think that there is a breeze to keep them cool, your car gets HOT inside. Even in the short time it takes you run inside a fast food restaurant to go to the bathroom and order a sandwich. Don’t believe us? Check out this video.
Be smart this summer, and don’t forget about your beloved pets! From your friends at Wantagh Mazda, have fun and be safe traveling!