On December 31st, New York City always hosts one of the biggest celebrations of the year. People from all over the world come to spend the last few hours of the year in Times Square. If you are feeling up to the challenge this year, here are a few tips to help you travel to New York City for New Year’s Eve.
- Leave Early. The countdown may not start until midnight, but people start arriving by late morning. The best spots start filling up by noon and the city recommends arriving before 3pm.
- Head North. Enter Times Square from the north since most of the crowds start filling in on the south end.
- Avoid the Subway. While you might think a subway stop at Times Square is the ideal way to travel, it will be a madhouse, if open at all. Try the B, D, F, or M lines and get off at Rockefeller Center.
- Pack Food. Once you score your spot, you will not want to leave it. Pack your own food; however, drink as little as possible because bathroom breaks are nearly nonexistent.
- Have an Escape Plan. Plan a route to get your out of Times Square and the city beforehand.
Another great tip for drivers to have a vehicle equipped with advanced safety features like Mazda’s Smart City Brake Support—great for navigating through crowded city streets. If you need a new ride before the year ends, comes visit us at Wantagh Mazda.
Photo by Anthony Quintano