Do you love Long Island, but sometimes hate driving in the area? At Wantagh Mazda, we are right there with you. Here are a few ways you can de-stress and make the most of your time spent behind the wheel on beautiful Long Island.
- Avoid driving west in the morning. West takes you toward the city, which just so happens to be where everyone with four wheels is heading at that time of day.
- Avoid driving east in the afternoon and early evening. By this time the commuters are on their way home from the city, and they’re in a rush to relax and watch a few episodes of something online. Stay out of their way and put off your east-bound night drive until moonrise.
- Pick the parkways. There are both parkways and expressways on Long Island, but only vehicles with passenger plates are allowed on parkways. This means less fumes, less rumbling trucks, and more easy-cruising for you – the perfect drive on Long Island!
- For east and west travel, take: Ocean Parkway, Montauk Highway, Sunrise Highway, NY Route 25 or 25A, and the Southern State Parkway.
- For north and south travel, take: Cross Island Parkway, Meadowbrook State Parkway, Wantagh State Parkway, Bethpage State Parkway, Sunken Meadow Parkway, and Nichols Road.
Next time it’s a beautiful night for a drive on Long Island, don’t hesitate to hop in your vehicle of choice. Enjoy the sea breeze and open road, and, as always, drive safe!
When there’s something strange in the neighborhood, movie aficionados know to call a certain team of paranormal experts. However, if you’re looking for an up-to-date national resource for travelers, consider calling 511. While 911 is reserved for the police and 411 is a local directory, 511 is for real-time traffic information. Provided by the US Department of Transportation, the 511 traffic system is an unparalleled resource for most seasoned travelers.
According to the DMV, the 511 system will give you real-time information about road closures, accidents, detours, and even weather alerts. If you plan on driving up to Canada, you can learn about border crossing wait times, or you can even get ride-sharing details if you’d like to save some money on gas. Currently 35 states participate in the 511 system (perhaps one reason not everyone knows about it), so it’s a great resource for road trips out of state.
How does it work? Naturally you can simply dial 511 in New York; however, the state also offers other ways to access information. For instance, you can check the online 511 homepage for New York for live camera feeds. You can also use a smartphone app or check the state social media accounts, and you even sign up for My 511NY to get information about your daily commute. Just keep in mind to pull over before calling 511 if you’re on the highway.
Looking for the perfect vehicle for your traveling needs? Look no further than one of our vehicles at Wantagh Mazda.
Baseball fans, get excited and come see the Mazda CX-9 previously owned by famous baseball player Luis Severino. On sale now at Wantagh Mazda is a 2017 CX-9 Signature Edition that was owned by this NY Yankees all-star pitcher, and you can be the next driver behind the wheel.
In 2017, Luis Severino burst onto the scene as one of baseball’s best pitchers. He was named an all-star and was in the running for the coveted Cy Young Award, which is given each year to baseball’s best pitchers. He performed remarkably well throughout the entire Yankee season, finishing the year with 31 starts, a 14-6 record, a 2.98 ERA (earned run average), and 230 strikeouts.
This extra-special 2017 CX-9 has fewer than 5,000 miles on it, and its Signature Trim level means that it comes equipped with numerous high-end, luxurious features. Its exterior is jet black and its interior features premium, auburn leather. The CX-9’s beautiful design led it to make both the Autotrader.com and WardsAuto list of 10 Best Interiors – as well as WardsAuto’s 10 Best Engines list and Car and Driver’s 10 Best SUVs list. This CX-9 comes equipped with an advanced SKYACTIV®-G 2.5T Dynamic Pressure Turbo DOHC 16-valve four-cylinder engine with Variable Valve Timing that offers the perfect balance of power and efficiency, boasting 250 horsepower as well as a respectable 26 mpg on the highway*.
Come into Wantagh Mazda to see this valuable, one-of-a-kind 2017 CX-9 and get in the driver’s seat that once belonged to Luis Severino.
Late January will see the return of the annual Winter Long Island Restaurant Week, which features eight full days of amazing deals on dinner at restaurants all around the Long Island area. Explore the many delicious, unique flavors of Long Island the week of January 21 to January 28.
Wantagh residents, there’s a participating restaurant right in your backyard—Thom Thom Steak and Seafood will be offering deals on their high-quality steakhouse cuisine. Or hop over to Huntington, where several more restaurants will be part of Restaurant Week, including Besito Mexican, La Parma II Italian Restaurant, and Honu Kitchen and Cocktails.
Several other cities nearby are home to participating restaurants, like Garden City, where you can try Belgian food at Waterzooi, and Bay Shore, where Captain Bill’s will be serving up fresh seafood. Monsoon Steak and Sushi in Babylon is the perfect place to get a bite of Asian food, and Amityville has Vittorio’s Italian Steakhouse. Merrick is also home to a range of seafood and American food spots!
There’s something for everyone during Winter Long Island Restaurant Week, so if you live on Long Island or you’ll be visiting in January, don’t miss it. The staff at Wantagh Mazda is thrilled to be part of such an active community with so many amazing independent restaurants.
On December 31st, New York City always hosts one of the biggest celebrations of the year. People from all over the world come to spend the last few hours of the year in Times Square. If you are feeling up to the challenge this year, here are a few tips to help you travel to New York City for New Year’s Eve.
- Leave Early. The countdown may not start until midnight, but people start arriving by late morning. The best spots start filling up by noon and the city recommends arriving before 3pm.
- Head North. Enter Times Square from the north since most of the crowds start filling in on the south end.
- Avoid the Subway. While you might think a subway stop at Times Square is the ideal way to travel, it will be a madhouse, if open at all. Try the B, D, F, or M lines and get off at Rockefeller Center.
- Pack Food. Once you score your spot, you will not want to leave it. Pack your own food; however, drink as little as possible because bathroom breaks are nearly nonexistent.
- Have an Escape Plan. Plan a route to get your out of Times Square and the city beforehand.
Another great tip for drivers to have a vehicle equipped with advanced safety features like Mazda’s Smart City Brake Support—great for navigating through crowded city streets. If you need a new ride before the year ends, comes visit us at Wantagh Mazda.
Photo by Anthony Quintano
You have probably heard the winter predictions by now. If you haven’t, weather experts think we are going to have heavy winter this year with lots of snow. According to the Farmers’ Almanac, winter temperatures are expected to be closer to “normal,” which means cold, and precipitation will be “above normal.”
So, how can you prepare for snow on Long Island? The first thing you need to do is make sure you have the right vehicle. If you are worried your front-wheel drive sedan won’t cut it this winter, Mazda has a great lineup of crossovers—all with available all-wheel drive.
The CX-3, CX-5, and CX-9 not only offer superior traction with their available all-wheel drive systems, but they come with great features like the MAZDA CONNECT™ system, an available Bose® sound system, and advanced safety features.
Along with the right vehicle, you also need the right tires. No matter which vehicle you drive, winter tires can make a big difference. They are designed using a special type of rubber that stays soft even when the temperatures are frigid. And, the unique tread patterns cut through snow and slush better than all-weather tires.
If you are looking for a new winter ride or just want a new set of tires, come visit us at Wantagh Mazda before the worst of winter arrives.
Photo by Carl