Enjoy what’s left of summer with the best outdoor activities on or near Long Island. From spending time with family and friends or finding something for date night, there’s something for everyone.
Clocking in at 265 acres and 6,000 animals, the Bronx Zoo is the largest urban zoo in the United States. The animals are kept in natural environments, and guests are made to feel as if they are hiking through woods as opposed to walking in a zoo.
This beach and boardwalk located in Queens is a hot spot year-round for locals and tourists alike. It’s also New York’s only legal surfing beach!
There are a variety of different cruises and boating experiences people can have off the coast of Montauk, from leisurely midday sailing tours to stargazing events.
Garvies Point Museum and Preserve
Observe the natural environments of Long Island and educate yourself about the history of the area’s Native American population. There’s even an interactive woodland village onsite, along with gardens that attract local birds and butterflies.
Discovery Museum’s Adventure Park
Located not too far away in Connecticut, the Adventure Park offers zip lines and fun climbing experiences through courses configured by rope, cable, and wood. Keep your eyes out for special events like Glow in the Park.
If you need a stylish vehicle to get you to these outdoor attractions, come check out our lineup at Wantagh Mazda.
Do you love Long Island, but sometimes hate driving in the area? At Wantagh Mazda, we are right there with you. Here are a few ways you can de-stress and make the most of your time spent behind the wheel on beautiful Long Island.
- Avoid driving west in the morning. West takes you toward the city, which just so happens to be where everyone with four wheels is heading at that time of day.
- Avoid driving east in the afternoon and early evening. By this time the commuters are on their way home from the city, and they’re in a rush to relax and watch a few episodes of something online. Stay out of their way and put off your east-bound night drive until moonrise.
- Pick the parkways. There are both parkways and expressways on Long Island, but only vehicles with passenger plates are allowed on parkways. This means less fumes, less rumbling trucks, and more easy-cruising for you – the perfect drive on Long Island!
- For east and west travel, take: Ocean Parkway, Montauk Highway, Sunrise Highway, NY Route 25 or 25A, and the Southern State Parkway.
- For north and south travel, take: Cross Island Parkway, Meadowbrook State Parkway, Wantagh State Parkway, Bethpage State Parkway, Sunken Meadow Parkway, and Nichols Road.
Next time it’s a beautiful night for a drive on Long Island, don’t hesitate to hop in your vehicle of choice. Enjoy the sea breeze and open road, and, as always, drive safe!
When there’s something strange in the neighborhood, movie aficionados know to call a certain team of paranormal experts. However, if you’re looking for an up-to-date national resource for travelers, consider calling 511. While 911 is reserved for the police and 411 is a local directory, 511 is for real-time traffic information. Provided by the US Department of Transportation, the 511 traffic system is an unparalleled resource for most seasoned travelers.
According to the DMV, the 511 system will give you real-time information about road closures, accidents, detours, and even weather alerts. If you plan on driving up to Canada, you can learn about border crossing wait times, or you can even get ride-sharing details if you’d like to save some money on gas. Currently 35 states participate in the 511 system (perhaps one reason not everyone knows about it), so it’s a great resource for road trips out of state.
How does it work? Naturally you can simply dial 511 in New York; however, the state also offers other ways to access information. For instance, you can check the online 511 homepage for New York for live camera feeds. You can also use a smartphone app or check the state social media accounts, and you even sign up for My 511NY to get information about your daily commute. Just keep in mind to pull over before calling 511 if you’re on the highway.
Looking for the perfect vehicle for your traveling needs? Look no further than one of our vehicles at Wantagh Mazda.